HCPSS Cell Phone Policy for Middle Schoolers (revised 2021)
Policy 8080 states:
Middle Schools – Students:
Students will not use personal technology devices during non-instructional time, to include but not limited to transition between classes, lunch, recess, or in bathrooms.
All cell phones must be put away upon entering the building. Students may carry their phone, but it must be silent and it may not be used during the day.
PERSONAL COMMUNICATION DEVICE GUIDELINES
- Students must comply with class and school rules and all relevant HCPSS Board Policies.
- Administration, faculty, and staff may request at any time that students turn off and put away technology devices. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action and possible revocation of privileges.
- Individuals assume full responsibility for their non-HCPSS owned technology devices. This includes the device’s safety, security and maintenance.
- When not in use, all devices must be in “silent & away.”
- Personal communication devices may not be used in locker rooms or bathrooms at any time.
- No taking, uploading or sharing photos, recording audio, or capturing video during school or any HCPSS-sanctioned activities.
- Any disruption to class or other educational activity may result in disciplinary action.
- Students may not have the phone out in the hallway.
WHEN CAN STUDENTS USE THEIR DEVICES?
- Arrival until the entrance bell. - put away upon entering the building
- Dismissal - 3:10 for bus riders, and 3:15 for walkers and car riders
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WE SHARED WITH STUDENTS
- If students wouldn’t want their teachers, administrators or parents seeing what they are viewing on their cell phones, then it probably is NOT appropriate in school
- If students do not feel well during the day they should visit the health room. Do not text parents in lieu of reporting to the health room
- Ear buds are not permitted in school
We want to work together with parents and our community to make sure students understand how to effectively maneuver through the complexity of using technology tools. Please continue to help us communicate the responsible use of technology to our students.
Thank you for your ongoing support.